Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I Would Have Been a Terrible Apostle

I think I would have been a terrible disciple/apostle. I think I would have been the whiny one that didn't get into the Bible b/c he just complained a lot. Someone else would get credit for my profound statements ("just tell them Peter said it"), and they'd leave out when I'm rude or griping about having no place to lay my head or my being inconvenienced or missing the point or having to wait for the resurrection.

I wish I had Paul's attitude. I wish I could say that I'm willing to suffer for the sake of the church if it would help make Christ better or more widely known. I wish I could say things like "I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake.... That we may present everyone complete in Christ. For this I toil, struggling with all his energy that he powerfully energizes in me."


(So maybe this entire post was originally a text message)

No comments: